Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Sea-holly

The aliens have landed!

This is one of the most spectacular perennials.  Sea-holly is from the genus Eryngium.  There are many different varieties originating primarily from grasslands and coastal areas. They have spiky silver foliage and thistle like blooms.

There is a form of Eryngium that grows wild in Southeast Asia and Latin America countries.  It is used as a herb and tastes similar to cilantro. It has square spiky foliage.  I threw it in my rice and beans when I was in Costa Rica actually. Very tasty.  

I took a picture of this blue beauty on my walk down the street.  Note the bright blue stems too.  It's kind of wild, eh?

Sea-holly is nice paired with ornamental grasses.  They are really adaptable to most soils and prefer full sun.



No comments:

Post a Comment